The Senate Shenanigans

So my pals over at BOAVoice brought this up. And I am going to write a bit about it because I stumbled upon La Rotonde's Vimeo page which has copies of the two outrageous videos of a fringe group, whom I am henceforth going to describe as campus criminals (the other option is domestic terrorists, I will leave it up to you to decide, but we will see what I do).

Allan Rock held his composure as they continually disrupt the meeting without justification, and even after they quickly discussed the recording policy and the members of the Senate agreed with the current policy, but would put it on the Agenda for the next time, the domestic terrorism continued.

I enjoy how he rebukes one of them, after they talk about "the community" and Pres. Rock says that if any single person here can speak for "the community" they are more then welcome to approach. Then mentions how the meetings are open-door and anyone can enter and watch, but it is up to the individual members of the Senate if they consent to being photographed or recorded, since it is there faces and voices. And as BOAVoice asks, have any of them taken minutes and compared their minutes to the official minutes? Or started to LiveBlog the meetings? By immediately claiming that our Senate lacks transparency is irresponsible and unfounded. If the meetings included no public access, no student members, no published minutes, then we can talk. But I would call a meeting that anyone can go and sit quietly and observe, multiple student members and minutes that are published to be quite transparent. Who the heck even cares that I can't videotape it. I personally could think of a few reason why we should NOT be able to do that. I could simple alter the audio track to my own Michael Moore-type narration to completely distort the actual proceedings.

I have no patience for this. I would be up for forming a Student Senate Security Squad to protect our institutions . . . maybe.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. It seems like protesting for the sake of protesting has become fashionable? Or is it just this group of renegades that have decided they have the authority to hijack the Senate process to the detriment of every other student on campus, the majority of whom are either apathetic towards or pissed off at their actions. A little bit of professionalism would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete