A look back on a Presidency

I will admit that I have been rough on dear ole Dean. However, what kind of pundit would I be if I wasn’t? More so than not, I just like poking fun at him, like saying, "Man, there are more people in here than voted for Dean!" Again, all in good fun! (for me)

But over the past few weeks I have been thinking back over the year as a whole and come to the conclusion that Mr. Haldenby did an 'okay' job.

While he has made some questionable moves and choices (the ATU comes to mind, perhaps even more clearly the CFS), I think that the way he holds himself in his written form, and his openness in that regard partially makes up for any perceived bumbling. If I had to give Mr. Haldenby a mark it would be in the C+/B range, which you may think is low, but compared to some of the other members on his executive, it's practically honour-roll.

This year has not been an easy one for students at uOttawa, it's been nothing but divisive. While Mr. Haldenby has been unable to rectify the situation, he has on many occasions tried to calm the storm. The relations between the SFUO President and the uOttawa President seem to be on the mend, with correspondence going both way respectfully (most of the time). I would think that he fit well into the role that we needed this year, since many of the projects were these backroom ongoing ones, such as the U-Pass and Student Space initiatives. As we move into the next and final steps of these projects though, the position of President will also change, that fact puts more credence into his performance this year. And it's not like people were running up to the office last year to run for President, Dean was there and committed.

As your Presidency enters its homestretch, I encourage you to get out and be seen, to control your executive, and demand respect from students in our institutions.

Thank you Mr. Haldenby.

No comments:

Post a Comment