I was thinking today . . .

I don't think that I have ever left our school library feeling "happy" about the experience.

I mean, it's not that every visit there is a negative one, most of the time I would render the verdict as "so-so" or indifferent, but there are occasions were I leave very unhappy with the whole thing.

And it's not always for the same reasons. Ever try to get a book, only to realize that it's in the Annex? (Which is off-site) Ever found the book you are looking for but its signed out and not due for a couple of months? Ever had to wait in line to return a borrowed lap-top but the line is too long and you get charged for it being late? (I haven't experienced this one, but I know someone who has) What about after you've printed out your paper and you need to staple it? They used to have staplers available, now you are supposed to walk downstairs to the AV desk. What about if you need change for your copy card. The circulation desk has a sign specifically saying they won't do that, you need to leave the library and go to Reprography, and stand in their line. (There may be a change machine in the copy room, but it won't deal with Quarters or Dimes I believe).

Even things like trying to go there to study, but the entire place is full, but of people basically hanging out. Or perhaps how they needed to move books to the annex so they could put in more fixtures like couches and fireplaces.

And it's not just specific issues, I mean on the whole macro-sense of being satisfied with our library. Perhaps if the late charges weren't exorbitant, and the staff were at least a little bit friendly, it might make up for the negative issues.

And if anyone feels like elaborating I welcome it, perhaps even sharing a overtly positive experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment